Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cloth diapers?

Today we went to the Nurtured Family boutique today, and I bought my first cloth diaper. I know, it's CRAZY when there are disposable diapers these days, but I have really been thinking about a number of things. First off, I thought it would make an excellent story for my blog. Second, I thought it would be interesting to somewhat experience what our parents went through when they were diapering us. Third, I keep thinking about how many diapers I go through in a week...and how have they not come up with a biodegradable diaper yet?? So, all those diapers that we throw away, they just end up in a landfill!! That's crazy! Did you know the average child goes through 6000 diapers in 2.5 years?! That's PER child!


I'm no hippy, but I just thought I could do my part at least while we're home and save the disposable diapers for when we're away from the house. Am I crazy? Probably. I just had to try it anyway. I start tomorrow on Ella. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Penne said...

Let me know how that works out for ya....I thought about the cloth diapers too, but then I thought about washing them out too. You are a better person than I am, my friend. Hope u are successful.

Anonymous said...

Cloth diapers aren't anything to deal with except when they poop!! And the pooping isn't that bad when you can swish and clean them in YOUR CLEAN TOILET.... the problem was when I was out shopping and my little ones would poop and I couldn't carry that around my whole shopping trip, so i would have to dump the poop in a public toilet... that wasn't fun!! Sometimes if it happened early in the shopping trip.... I'd wrap it up in paper towels, put it in a plastic bag (something I always had with me) and throw it away. Couldn't afford to do that too often though!!!